Wednesday 2 March 2011

SIKI NATION- SIKI IM AW 2010

London Fashion Week over always feels for me like Christmas is gone and although you are still stuffed with all the food and sweets you think back and have all those nice images of family and presents on your mind and start to fell a bit sad. Also you need a little break to digest all the impressions and food I am right know digesting all those incredible collections one has seen an is seeing in case of the ladies. I always need some time to go back to the pictures and videos of the shows and wait till my favourites are crystallising out of the tornado of creativity. Right now I am still lingering about my LFW pictures therefore I decided to write a bit about my favourite New York show for AW11 about the architect-turned-fashion designer Siki Im. Famous for his perfect cutting, challenging silhouettes and ergonomic volumes Siki Im's fourth show during New York Fashion week after winning the Ecco Domani prize was very ' earth bound '  and tranquil. The catwalk was held in a very simple white room with just 8 models walking to native American chanting in the background. Siki Im talked himself of a ' meditation of tranquility ' as his spark of inspiration.

The perfectly cut boxy jackets and and drop crotch trousers in soft blacks were combined with tunics in saturated, deep- reddish browns, navy or cream which patterns which were inspired by the Native American pottery artist Maria Martinez and created in collaboration with a Navajo weaver. Also cheeky deconstruction in coats an waist waist coats, playing with  volumes of trousers  and layering of different length garments gave the whole collection an interesting structure. But the use of fluid cashmeres and silks avoided a any kind of formal rigidness. Reminiscent of American Indians were the gaucho style exaggerated hats and the fur-interwoven braids. The Mohaiccan brought a hint of anarchic punk to the style which I find lifts the whole earthiness of the collection to street style. The make up was a mix of Indian war paint and a 1990s photo shoot by Steven Meisel for Vogue Italia.

Voluminous drop crotch trousers
Kimono style knee lenght shirts



 Recently I read a lot of discussions about men and jewelry but this very simple red ' sun disc ' brooch adds a nice splash of colour the black outfit. Since it is such a simple motive in this aggressive colour I think it is ideal a men jewel. I would immediately put it on without thinking twice.


Decontstructed front




All photos from Sonny photos

 


For me personally the piece de resistance was the kimono style jump suit. I just love the silhouette of it. It looks so comfortable yet so stylish.


No comments:

Post a Comment